If you have been reading my blog, you will know that I went for an interview right? Yes, I got the job! This job title is Community Support Worker, in other words, a carer. There isn't enough nursing home for the aged, so the aged is encourage to stay at home and be taken care by the carer. There is a variety of things to be done for them, for example: Personal Care(shower, shave), Domestic Assistance(Do house-works), Respite(Give the family a rest), Medical help, bring them to appointments, shopping and etc.
I went through two buddy shifts, I really learnt a lot and it was fun.
Yesterday, It was my first time going to client on my own. My first task is to shower a aged man and shave him too. Looking forward to it, as well as excited. When I arrived at the house, the wife told me that there is no electricity, I need to shower him in the dark. This is indeed challenging, but in a way is good, so the client will not see the awkward look on my face. Next challenge is to shave him, I have never shave for anyone before, my hands were shivering when I do it. I was glad that the family is kind to me, maybe because is my first time. Phew...
Today, my task was to do domestic cleaning for a client. He is 93 years old and his wife stays in a mursing home because she broken her hips. But, everyday without fail, he will visits his wife. They have been married for 67 years, I really envy them, it is really heart warming to see people fulfilling their marriage vows, in sickness and in health, ..., till death to us part.
When I visited my buddy's clients, some of them are widows, some of them live alone in perth and some of them neglected by family. Can you imagine that they probably only see us for the rest of their life? I am for sure an emotional creature, but my buddy said I have to be strong, sometimes I might visit a client and found them dead. I hope it will not happen for me.
This job, so far, has given me rewarding feeling, by putting smile on lonely old people and helping those who are helpless. I pray that I can pass my 3 months probation too. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment